Knowing about something is the first step. This is followed by knowing how to do something. Then, you are ready to start doing something.
For high school students, the cost of being stuck can range from unnecessary stress when trying to complete homework to difficulty in standing up for themselves in a troubling friendship. Knowing how to get out of a situation like that is great, but then there’s the trouble of not knowing where to go next. It’s like driving around the block aimlessly. It can deplete one’s self-esteem. That’s when you need a plan.
Now, our daily lives are hijacked by media. We are glued to our phones. The lure of shows, podcasts, and personal drama at any time of day is really challenging to walk away from. The media presents an airbrushed world, and a world with exciting heroes, hurtful messages, and always political drama.
I’m not suggesting you put your phone down. So, let’s see how we can use our phones to help us get where we need to go.
A smart phone can be a powerful and amazing tool when it’s used for what it was made for. We can find information or how-to directions for anything in the world. Use it as your roadmap.
First, identify the problem. Let’s say you’re constantly putting off homework. When it comes time for a test, you’re cramming. You’re a procrastinator.
Then, discover ways to find out how to do something about procrastination: These are the suggestions:
- Make an elephant into small bites
- Slay those tiny goblins first
- Don’t listen to the sirens
Lastly, do something! Apply the suggestions by choosing a project you have to do, assessing how it goes, and keep applying the suggestions to more projects or assignments. Like this:
- Pick an elephant (homework), write down everything you have to do.
- Figure out the tiny goblin (which step you like to do the most.) Do that first and give yourself a deadline so you don’t get stuck on just doing that.
- Find a place to put the sirens (your phone and anything else you get distracted with.) Work for an hour, and then take a 10-minute break. Repeat.
What is the something that you will take the first step to know about?